Monday, July 22, 2013

July 22, 2013

This week was a good one. On monday when we were out and about, I had just got done praying that i could just help someone feel better even if i couldn't set up a rdv with them. The first contact I had I ended up speaking with this man who had actually seen the missionaries in the past and had read the book of mormon but had felt frustrated with life and God. I ended up talking with him and testifying for the next 15 minutes. At the end of the contact he told me about how angry he had been lately especially when it comes to religion. He said that the last time he talked with us "preachers" he got really angry, yelled, and felt really upset the rest of the night. But this time it was the opposite. He told me that he felt really peaceful talking with me and that it was the first time in a really long time that he had felt good while talking about religion. At the end he thanked me for talking with him and told me that I had really helped him feel better that evening. As I was walking away I remembered my prayer literally seconds before talking with this man. While I hadn't managed to fix any thing with him, I knew for a fact that I had helped him.

The rest of the week was filled a lot of really good conversations on the street or at a door step. Some of which lead to numbers or fixed rdvs, many didn't, but I feel that with all of them I had left the person feeling better than I found them. I have really been putting focus on improving my ability to contact. I can testify that through dilligence and prayer we can see improvment in ourselves. In D&C there is a good scripture that tells us "All vitctory is brought to pass through our diligence, faithfulness, and prayer of faith."

I feel alot like Jeremiah. In chapter 1 the Lord calls him to the work. At first he feels scared and overwhelmed when it comes to talking with others. But God tells him not to be scared because He will be with him and will tell him what he needs to say. At the beginning of the mission i felt like saying as did Jeremiah "I am but a child and cannot speak," but I know that the Lord has strengthened and comforted me. At the beginning of my mission I stuggled with contacts in my native language and it was all the more difficult in a foreign one. I am still far from perfect but i have seen how far i have come thanks to the help of the Lord.

This gospel is a gospel of hope. It is a gospel of peace. It is a gospel of joy. How lucky are we to have a Father in Heaven who loves us enough to help us in aspects of our life? A Father who is willing to strengthen us, help us, and bear us up. Always remeber the divine potential that you have and be able to say with confidence "I can do all things through Him which strengtheneth me." 

I love you.

Elder Swenson

No comments:

Post a Comment