Monday, February 10, 2014

Feb. 10, 2014

Hello again,

This past week we shared a message about the love of God with a partial member family. Before the rdv we honestly weren't sure what we were going to share but when we got there the spirit led the whole thing. They had just been talking to some of thier children on the phone and talked about how as long as we have our family and we love each other all is well. They were very touched by the message and shared with us some miracles about the progress that their kids were making towards being baptized. They thanked us for our help and the whole house about burned down from the spirit that was there. 

It is crazy how much my understanding of God and His love for us has grown this past year as a missionary. A couple of weeks ago while walking down the streets of montpellier I was reflecting on God's love for us. I was thinking one of the questions that we always get asked and even ask ourselves as missionaries. What are your reasons for serving a mission? Why are you here? I have given multiple responses in the past. Duty. It's whats expected of be. Because of love for others. Because the gospel has blessed my life and I want to share it with others. etc... But as I was pondering this I decided to change my answer. It is actually the first principle in the first lesson that we teach our investigators. "God is our Heavenly Father and He loves us." 

Let me explain a bit. God's love for us is so great that we can't even comprehend it. He loves us so much that He created us. He loves us so much that He gave us all that we have and continues to bless us with more things every day. He Loves us so much that He created a plan for us to recieve a fullness of joy and inherit all that He has. He loves us so much that in order for this plan to work He was willing to sacrifice His beloved Son and watch as this perfect and sinless Son litterally took upon him and suffered all pains and afflictions immaginable. He loves us so much that He wants all of us to know about this plan and have the opportunity to accept it. That is why I am here, because God loves His children so much that He called me to tell them just how much He loves them and what blessings await them because of this great love. 

It is true that I am here in France because I love others and want to help them, but the real and biggest reason for why I am here is because of God's love. In essence if someone on the street were to come up to me and ask me, "Why are you here?" my answer for them would be "Because God loves you."

Now that I have explained my answer, I would like to pose you the same question. Why are you here? Why have you been blessed to be where you are with the knowlege of this gospel? It is because God loves His children and has sent you here and given you this gospel knowlege so that you can share it with others. I invite you to reflect on all of the blessings that you have, to ponder about just how much God loves you, and then to realize that there are millions of people out there who don't know this. 

As members of this church is is our responsibility to share Gods love with everyone, so that everyone can know and understand just how much they are loved and how enourmous their potential and capacity is because of this love.

Let us remeber the first and second great commandements: To love God with all of our hearts, might, mind, and strength, and to love our neighbors. Don't forget the most important thing. LOVE.

I love you!

Elder Swenson 

No comments:

Post a Comment